Kielder Water is the largest man-made lake in northern Europe with a surface area of over 11 square kilometres and enough water to give everyone on the planet about seven gallons of water.
Water activities such as canoeing, sailing, and water skiing are provided (seasonally) by professional clubs and Calvert Trust Kielder. Each of these activities must be pre-booked in advance. To avoid disappointment, please call the club based activity provider direct to pre-book your activity before arrival.
To begin arranging your trip, download our guide (link to the right) detailing the best club to contact for your chosen sport. All clubs operate to strict rules and regulations which must be adhered to.
If you have your own equipment, you must adhere to the rules and requirements before taking to the water and again, details must be checked in advance of your visit. The rules and regulations of Kielder Water are available to download using the link on the right or from any of the visitor centres.
Bring your own boat or canoe
If you wish to bring your own boat or canoe to Kielder Water & Forest Park, or to water ski, please take note of current safety regulations and the costs to launch
For a one day launch for a canoe is £10 and for three day launch it is £20.00, one day boat launch is £25 and three day is £50.00.
- Each craft must be insured against third party claims to a minimum of £2million
- Everyone must wear life jackets
- Inflatable craft or motor cruisers must be no less than 3 metres in length, have a solid floor and at least 3 inflatable sections
- There is a 6 knot speed limit
- Water skiers or board sailors must wear a dry or a wet suit
- Anyone under the age of 17 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- All motor boats must carry a powder filled fire extinguisher at leat 1kg of capacity and min fire rating 5A/3B
Please note there is no rescue craft on the water. There are more regulations which are in the guide book which will be given out on site.
There are only two water skiers allowed on at one time so it is best to call and book space. Please contact Kielder Waterside on 01434 251 000 for the rules and regulations, any questions, and the times visitors are allowed on the water.