Please read the latest information.
Silvas Capitalis - SIMPARCH 2009
"The uncanny effect is often and easily produced when the distinction between imagination and reality is effaced, as when something that we have hitherto regarded as imaginary appears before us in reality" Sigmund Freud Silvas Capitalis (forest head) is a giant timber head located along the Lakeside Way created by American artists SIMPARCH. The head has been conceived as a watcher, an imaginary presence who has observed the passing occupation of the landscape over past millennia and who has also seen how environment has dramatically changed during the last one hundred years with the coming of the forest and more recently the lake. Members of SIMPARCH worked throughout February and May 2009 to fabricate and construct the hear in the forest. Silvas Capitalis has been made from approximately 3000 specially shaped pieces of European Larch and is glued and pegged together without the use of any screws or nails. Visitors to the head who enter through the mouth and climb upstairs to look out of its eyes literally get inside its head.
SIMPARCH returned to Kieler in spring 2018 to fabricate and install long-awaited ears for their muched loved sculpture Silvas Capitalis. Working with the same larch timber that they made the main head from, the ears take the form of trumpets protruding into the head's interior. Visitors can now listen to the forest through the sculpture's ears, as well as watching through its eyes.
Visitors will also find small stools inside the head, created by local forester Simon Banks who worked with SIMPARCH on the project, to make the experience of looking and listening more comfortable.
OS Map Ref. NY 657905
Silvas Capitalis - SIMPARCH 2009 is part of Kielder Art and Architecture and so are...
- Minotaur - Nick Coombe and Shona Kitchen 2003, Kielder (Garden)
- Janus Chairs Viewpoint, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Cat Cairn: the Kielder Skyspace - James Turrell 2000, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Kielder Observatory, Kielder (Science and Technology)
- Kielder Column - John Maine 1999, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Silvas Capitalis - SIMPARCH 2009, Hexham (Great Outdoors)
- Janus Chairs - Ryder Architecture 2009, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Viewpoints - Tania Kovats 1998, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Mapping mini golf, Kielder (Sightseeing and Leisure)
- Play Garden - Zone Architects 2006, Kielder (Sightseeing and Leisure)
- Shadow - Julia Barton 1995, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Freya's Cabin - Studio Weave 2009, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Belvedere - Softroom Architects 1999, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- 55-02 - Sixteen (makers) 2009, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Wave Chamber - Chris Drury 1996, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Stell - Colin Wilbourn 2006, Falstone (Great Outdoors)