Please read the latest information.
Kielder Water is Northumbrian Water's boat fishery and with over 2,000 acres of water to explore, you can try a different spot every time you fish. With a fleet of 15 fully equipped motor boats, the huge lake offers exhilarating fishing for both enthusiast and competition anglers alike.
If you're new to fishing:
- Head to Tower Knowe or Kielder Waterside visitor centres where you can pick up your required permits or purchase your permit online at www.bookwhen.com/watersideparksnorth our lodges also offer tackle, bait and starter kits.
- Go to https://www.watersideparksuk.com/fishing/ or search for Northumbrian Water Waterside Parks on Facebook for all the information you'll need and also for weekly fishing reports.
- A Tyne Angling Passport is required to fish on the burns (including Kielder Burn, Lewisburn, River Rede at Cottonshopeburn) or the North Tyne. This can be booked via
https://www.tyneriverstrust.org/online-shop/beats/ or telephone 01434 636900
- Boat anglers should head for the Belling Inlet and Plashett's Bay at any part of the season.
- Bank anglers try Whickhope Inlet and downstream from Tower Knowe Visitor Centre. Small dark fly patterns are a must, fished as dropper flies with bright attractors on the point of the cast.
- When it comes to multi-bait, the Beeches Walk at Kielder Waterside, Tower Knowe Visitor Centre and upstream of Hawkhope car park are good locations. The stream mouths at Matthew’s Linn and Whickhope are worth a try during the spring.
-The Tyne Angling Passport gives you the chance to fish for brown trout in some of Kielder’s wildest spots; Kielder burn and Lewis burn. It costs £8 per day and is purchased through the charity, Tyne Rivers Trust see https://www.tyneriverstrust.org/shop/beats/kielder-burn/ The full fee goes towards improving river habitat.
- Pick up a 'Go Fishing' detailed guide or purchase a fishing starter pack from one of the visitor centres.
If you are a lodge guest at Kielder Waterside, you can purchase an 8 fish day permit at a reduced price of £15 per person. Permits and fishing boats must be booked in advance. To book please visit: www.bookwhen.com/watersideparksnorth
We respectfully ask that visitors follow the countryside code to protect our wildlife and the natural environment. Please do not leave litter.
For boat fishing at Kielder, two adults must be in a boat at all times and no children aged under eight years of age are allowed in boats.
For information on water releases from Kielder Reservoir please call 01434 240463
- 23/08/2021 to 23/08/2021